Monday, January 18, 2010

Money, Money, Money!

I was doing a couple of mean crunches at the gym this morning (oh yes, I'm on track with my goals this year) when it suddenly hit me: I'm 28 years old without a single property to my name.

I have countless books, clothes, and diplomas, but I haven't made any investments in my entire life. I have slaved for 6 years, been studying for the past 6 months, and all I've got to show for are my tiangge clothes. Oh, no.

I've been putting off taking care of my finances for the longest time. You see, I've always been obsessed about studying abroad, and now that I've reached that goal (which turned out to be no big deal, although I'm really thankful for the mostly wonderful people I've met) it's time to move on to something more important, something that would really have a huge impact on my future. I ought to stop worrying about grades and start worrying about my savings.

I don't want to die penniless and educated. I want to have a posh condo, and the peace of mind so that I can write. I know too many smart yet poor people. This may seem materialistic, but that's not the kind of life I want. And I don't want to snag a rich husband just to live a comfortable life. Many who do end up being really unhappy, or worse, beaten to a pulp.

When I left the gym, I vowed to myself: I will invest on a business (anything!) in the next two years. My brothers--average students-- are now building their investment portfolios. I'm sorry, but I am not going to be the poor spinster sister with the multiple diplomas to her name.

3 comments:

Nherz Jane said...

oist magsosyo tayo sa negosyo. yan din ang realization ko before 2009 ended. kakalungkot.

Rachel said...

Ok lang yan Nherz. At least hindi pa huli ang lahat. It's better that we realize it now than we realize it at the age of 40. I have saved quite a lot, pero kelangan talaga solid investment e. Gusto mong magopen ng hotdog stand? Let's call it "Bibo Kid." :)

Roanne G said...

girlaloo, i scanned your nebulous dreams.

was going to comment here pero uwian na. hahay.

tom na lang.