Friday, December 4, 2009

Censorship Dinner

After being postponed, we finally had dinner with Cherian and Prof. Ang!

These professors were our teachers in our Censorship class, the module which has proven to be one of the most challenging during the semester. There were so many stuff to read, the paper was really tough to write... but everything paid off in the end. The class was intellectually-challenging and fulfilling, just the kind that I've always wanted to take.

Like a lot of things, my current interest in the issue of censorship was borne out of my years in YES! My editors were staunch anti-censorship activists, and I had the opportunity to write a couple of articles about censorship. Since then, I found the subject fascinating, which was the reason why I opted to stay in this class in spite of the long, scary list of readings.

Cherian and Prof. Ang made the class interesting and entertaining. These two guys are two of the most brilliant profs I've had, but they're so down-to-earth! Prof. Ang for example, is so open to listening to views that may be contrary to his. And he's so cool. His one-liners are the best, my favorite of which is, "Four floors of whores!"


Prof. Ang talking to LJ about a Shanghainese resto. Or at least that's what I heard. I asked Prof. Ang, "What's your weekend like?" Shaking his head, he said, "It's terrible! I wake up, I shower, I have breakfast, then I go for a walk. I have lunch. I take a nap. Then I have dinner. It's terrible."



I used to pooh-pooh Singapore's political issues. But Cherian's passion for teaching has made me somehow interested in the subject. He has this really interesting, funny way of discussing it, that even a foreigner like me soon found myself reading current affairs blogs to know more about the country that I've developed a lot of respect for.


Terrence (left) said, "Next semester is just going to be as shitty as this one." He turns to Cherian and asks, only half-jokingly, "Why do you have so many readings? Isn't one enough to prove your point?"

These guys are the best. I just wish I'll get a good grade from them. If that happens, I'll worship them until kingdom come.


After a month of studying for the exams and stress eating, here I am, with two of my favorite profs, Cherian George (center) and Ang Peng Hwa. I just wish I had enough time to put on makeup. Ugh. Oiliness is next to ugliness.

No comments: