Love and marriage, love and marriage/Go together like a horse and carriage!
Today marks the 29th wedding anniversary of my mom and dad.
These guys don’t really celebrate anniversaries. It’s no big deal, especially for Dad. I was bugging them a couple of years back if, instead of waiting for the 50th anniv, they can get remarried during their 25th. Getting re-married during the 50th anniversary is a Filipino tradition many couples do. Mom was amendable to the idea, but Dad was totally against it. He actually said he will not show up at the city cathedral, and Mom can get married all by herself. :)
I would like to say that they rarely argue, but I noticed that they now do. When I was a kid, they rarely bicker, and I stated this fact once in my misfit-infested high school class, where a certain loser told me that I was being dishonest by saying that. But that was true. They were too busy working, and I think we, their four rambunctious, moody, talented, and lovable kids, were too much of a distraction. When we started flying out of the coop, though, and we would just visit them during the weekends, that’s when I noticed that they would argue more often. I guess that now that they're in their 50s, Mom and Dad finally realized that they’re married to each other. :)
In spite of this, this marriage is pretty good. I have friends with supremely jealous and needy husbands who constantly check on their wife’s whereabouts, which Dad never did. Mom and Dad leave each other to do whatever they want: Dad, to hang out with his friends and watch basketball the whole day, and Mom, to tend to the unending needs of her nephews, nieces, and siblings.
I also have a friend with a martyr-like mom, who always bowed to her macho husband’s bidding. This was never the dynamic in our household. Like many Pinoy families, Mom is the queen of the household, and Dad her pawn. Hahahaha!
Happy anniversary, guys! Here’s to the 30th. I hope we can have a Filipiniana-inspired wedding by then.

No comments:
Post a Comment